Thursday, May 7, 2009

TRAINING


In less than 2 weeks, I head off for South Africa. Now, to be certain, this trip is going to be amazing for many reasons. But one of the things I am looking most forward to is bouldering at The Rocklands for over a week. In the last year, I have achieved things I never thought I would in my climbing. I did my first V11 this past winter, and am centimeters away from summiting a 5.13d. I am 100% positive that this has all been achieved through one simple equation:

Try Hard + Train Hard + Get Psyched= Climb Harder than you ever would imagine.

Now I know, this sounds totally obvious. But really, I don't think people realize how much of a difference there is between a session at the gym, and a *fucking session*. I realized the missing ingredient for me all these years was trying things that were vastly outside of my ability while I am training. By sitting under the steepest bouldering wall in the gym 3 nights a week, and trying moves and problems that are for the most part, utterly absurd, I have made myself at least 35% stronger in the last year. So I feel like I am ready for The Rocklands.

I will be posting photos, videos, and updates on here of the 3 week excursion to South Africa as often as possible from the road. I think it's going to be totally insane. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment